When you have credit challenges, getting financed for a car requires research.
Going to the dealership for a loan can often mean marathon negotiations that may or may not get you the car or deal you want.You need to search for financing just like you search for a car, exploring various options and doing your homework. Buying cars for bad credit shoppers can be intimidating, but there are a few steps that will help you get through the process.
- Be realistic with your expectations Before beginning your search, know your budget and the kind of monthly payment you need. RoadLoans offers a payment calculator on its site that can help. Plug in just a few pieces of information, and you get a glimpse at what your monthly car payment would be before you even begin shopping for a vehicle.
- Get pre-approved It’s probably the single most important step you could take. Getting pre-approved takes the pressure off of going into a dealership empty-handed. RoadLoans is one of the leading online lenders with experience financing cars for bad credit. The process is quick and a decision is made in seconds.
- Consider a used car Bad credit can limit the amount of financing you can get. A used car may be a better fit for your price range. Also, the difference in the monthly payment for a used car versus that of a new one could mean a little more breathing room in your budget.
- Be prepared to have a co-signer If you know your credit score is going to make some lenders hesitate, a co-signer can help your loan application get approved. Many lenders will approve a bad-credit car loan provided that a co-signer is willing to guarantee the repayment. Keep in mind, your co-signer needs to have a good credit history.
- Consider refinancing in a year Let’s say you get a loan but are not happy with the terms. There is nothing that says you can’t refinance it. If your credit score improves over the next 12 months or so, go back for a better deal. RoadLoans offers refinance programs that could result in a lower monthly payment or a lower interest rate.